Sunday, January 1, 2012

Home Sweet Home! 08-15-10


Posted Aug 15, 2010 11:03pm
by Melinda
We arrived home from the hospital at about 4:00 pm today! Steve and the girls had decorated the house with pink and purple balloons and streamers! Steve also helped the girls make the cutest Welcome Home sign which included drawings all of Sara's favorite things! Steve and I sat on the couch and watched the girls pay together. I love my family! It's so good to be all together again. Even at the hospital, we could only visit Sara two at a time. We're finally all together! Yaaaaaay! Sara went outside and did a "Titanic" as Steve put it. She put her head up and just soaked in the sunshine and the breeze. She has not seen the sunshine in two weeks. Sara moved rooms seven times during her stay and most of the time she did not have a room with a window, so she would ask me if it was daytime. Steve made Sunday dinner for us- barbeque steak and mash potatoes. What a sweet husband I have!
We have to return to the hospital on Wednesday for an X-ray, bloodwork and to check the incision area. Sara is not going to like that, but hopefully she'll believe me when I tell her we're not spending the night.
More About Sara's Pacemaker:
Sara will not have to alter her activity at all because of the pacemaker. She can do everything she did before except going through the security check at the airport. The pacemaker was placed in her abdomen and is connected to her heart by two leads. Pacemakers are usually moved up to the chest as children get older, but because of the anatomy of Sara's heart, hers will always be in her abdomen. There is also a chance that Sara won't need the pacemaker anymore in which case it would be removed.
Periodic pacemaker checks are necessary, to measure the function of the device and the amount of energy left in the battery. The “scheduled maintenance” for pacemakers generally consists of periodic telephone follow-up (every few months,) and visits to the pacemaker clinic every six months. The telephone follow-up is a simple procedure consisting of placing a special “trans-telephonic follow-up device” over the pacemaker, and transmitting data over the telephone to the doctor.
Sara will have to take it easy over the next few weeks, but it's mainly because of her Fontan surgery, not so much the pacemaker surgery.
Sara is asleep on the couch right now. I'm exhausted and am putting everyone to bed, including me, ASAP. I can't wait to sleep in my own bed tonight! I have my little girl home! I have so much to be grateful for!
Oh and this is the blog I mentioned in one of my other posts. I don't know this family, but she is a friend of a friend and I enjoy many of her posts.
http://71toes.blogspot.com/2010/07/holiness-in-motherhood.html
Posted Aug 24, 2010 8:01pm
Gretchen and I have been keeping watch on Sara and Gretchen told me Sunday that she knew Sara had had a miracle because she prayed for her and Anna and Kate were back at church. As we have talked about miracles in Primary this month we have all been thinking and praying about our own little miracle Sunbeam. Hugs and kisses from Gretchen and her Mom.
Posted Aug 17, 2010 11:57pm
Joy, Joy and more Joy!
Vaughn

Posted Aug 16, 2010 8:53pm
So glad Sara is home!!

Posted Aug 16, 2010 4:22pm

Melinda, This is great news. I'm glad the surgery went well. I can't believe how big Sara is...your girls are growing up! :) Take care.

Posted Aug 16, 2010 1:22am
Welcome home! That is the best feeling in the world...coming home! I'm so happy that you are all home and that Sara is doing so well. Thanks for all your updates, they are so helpful! Our love to all of you! Nancy

Posted Aug 16, 2010 12:17am
I am so happy to hear you are all home and together again! I am sure this was a wonderful day for all of you.
Love you!
~Lori

Posted Aug 15, 2010 11:20pm
Congratulations! So glad to hear everyone is home safe and sound. Sara is going to have quite a story to tell when she get older.

Posted Aug 15, 2010 11:14pm
So happy Sara is home! Give her a kiss and hug for me! xoxo

Posted Aug 15, 2010 11:11pm

Melinda, that is FABULOUS news! I've been following Sara's recovery just trying to imagine the emotions you and Steve must have gone through. I'm so thankful that Sara is healthy, happy, and most of all at home!! Enjoy your first night with the whole family under one roof. I think of you and your family often, and will continue to do so. Much love, Riki

No comments:

Post a Comment