Sunday, January 1, 2012

Surgery went well but on temporary pacemaker 08-02-10


Posted Aug 2, 2010 11:55pm
by Melinda
My battery on my laptop is out and I'm not allowed to plug anything in in the CTICU where Sara is right now. She is sleeping so I have a few minutes.
First of all, thank yo so much for all the prayers and well wishes. Steve and I were talking after Sara came out of surgery about how we have felt the Lord with Sara today and an overwhelming peace with us as well. Some of you may know that Sara can be fiesty at times, but this morning when we woke her up before 5:00 am, she actually seemed happy. I was worried about her wanting food and water this morning, but even with the long delay we had before she went in for surgery, Sara was such a good girl and didn't even ask for food or water. As you said Nancy, it was more than just happy juice that made Sara happy today.
We spoke with the surgeon this afternoon and he said the surgery went well. Sara is on a pacemaker right now, but the surgeon is downplaying it and thinks she will be off it soon, so we are hoping and praying that she indeed can be weened off of it. As I understand, she had to go on it during the operation because her heartbeat was not synchronized in the upper and lower chambers of her heart, so the pacemaker does this for her. They will slowly turn it lower and lower over the week in hopes her heartbeat goes back to normal. I googled this and found that it is called heart block. The cardiologist here told us that 75% of kids who go on it during surgery are taken off before they go home.
Sara has been absolutely miserable coming out of anesthesia. She's been screaming for water which she couldn't have at all for hours and now she only gets squirts of water in her mouth once in a while. It is heartbreaking for Steve and I not to be aable to help her. She looks at me ans screams, "I want water Mommy! Please give me water!" and she can't have it. Hopefully later tonight she'll be sipping water out of a cup. Some of the things she told the nurse today made Steve and i laugh. The nurse told her to take a nap and she could have some water when she woke up. Sara screamed, "No way! I don't want to take a nap! She also kept contradicting whatever the nurse said. They were in a battle with each other today. She is one determined girl! She was even refusing the squirts of water for a while becsuse she told the nurse she wanted her own water in a cup. I guess the fight in her will serve her well. It looks like we will be in the CTICU a little longer than expected due to the pacemaker. As Steve says, it's kind of her MO to extend her hospital stay with complications. We are hoping and praying for the best for Sara. Thanks again for your prayers. We definitely still need them.
By the way, I hope this all makes sense, I'm not going back and proofreading and I'm running on little sleep. I forgot my chord to upload pics, so later in the week I will post pics.
Posted Aug 4, 2010 1:14am
Have been thinking a lot about you today. I hope Sara is doing well.

Posted Aug 3, 2010 3:57pm
Melinda, you are amazing! I can hardly believe you are even taking the time to post as much as you just did. Warms my heart to see the thoughtfulness of others even in the circumstances you are in. And thanks! Not really being acquainted with Sara, you've painted a nice picture of her beautiful spirit. Prayers continuing.

Posted Aug 3, 2010 3:33am
Thank you for all the updates on Sara. I an glad that the surgery went well and that she is starting on the road to recovery. I love that she is so feisty...it says she is not only a fighter but that she is HERSELF, which is a great sign! I know there are long hours ahead of you, but it sounds like she is well on her way!! You are in our continued thoughts and prayers.

Posted Aug 3, 2010 2:14am
We're happy to hear that things went well today. We are thinking of you and you are still in our prayers.

Posted Aug 3, 2010 1:46am
so glad to hear it went well! I love how feisty she is. She is a fighter! :)
You will all continue to be in our prayers.
Love you!

Encourage_hug
Posted Aug 3, 2010 1:21am
Melinda & Steve,
So glad to hear the surgery went well. I have been thinking of you all day. Give Sara some hugs and kisses from us. You are all in our prayers. Love, Christine

Posted Aug 3, 2010 1:01am
Thanks for the update. I'm glad Sara is a feisty one. This will serve her well right now. Hope , love , and prayers to your family.

Posted Aug 3, 2010 12:54am
Please give Sara my love. All of you are in my prayers!

Posted Aug 3, 2010 12:30am
We have been thinking of and praying for you all day. We will continue to do so. Lots of love from the Stowes.

Posted Aug 3, 2010 12:28am
We are grateful! Thanks for keeping us updated. Give Sara a squeeze. love, jen

Posted Aug 3, 2010 12:15am
What a great update! I have had you all in my prayers....

Posted Aug 3, 2010 12:11am
Melinda,
I am glad things are going well and that the surgery was a success, we will continue to think of her and pray for your family...we love you and our little Sara! Take care, Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment