Sunday, January 1, 2012

A Much Better Day! 08-03-10


Posted Aug 5, 2010 5:09am
by Melinda
Post-op Day 1 (Tuesday 8/3)
Sara had her atrial line in her arm removed as well as her catheter. I was able to give Sara more frequent drinks of water but still not enough to satisfy her. Her natural pacing still has not returned. A rough day for me too becasue I felt so lightheaded and nauseated.
Post-op Day 2 (Wednesday 8/4)
Sara had one of her chest tubes and the line in her groin removed. She still has a chest tube with lines, a nasal canula taped on her face for the oxygen she's receiving, an IV in her arm and the dreaded temporary external pacer box is still in use. The doctors are now saying how going home with a permanent pacemaker insertd is no big deal. It would just be one more thing for Sara though and of course we think it's a big deal. We're so grateful the Fontan surgery was successful, but at the same time she now has a new problem that we are praying hard goes away in the next few days.
It was a much better day though, becasue I felt so much better and by late evening Sara actually smiled and played around with me a little! If your child has ever had surgery you'll relate to thinking he/she is never going to smile again. I was glad to see the little Sara I know coming back.
The Children's Hospital is an interesting place to be. It's a sad place becasue of all the sick children and yet it's a happy place becasue there's so much love at work here. All of the families we have met here are all so dedicated to loving and caring for their child or relative. I can't help but think of how Heavenly Father created the perfect unit for us to be born into (the family) and how it is a perfect situation for us to learn and grow and become more like God so that we can return and live with Him as eternal families again. I can only imagine how much God loves each one of us, his children-enough to let his Only Begotten suffer for our sins and experience the physical and emotional pain that we go through so that he could succor us.
I follow this blog of a friend of a friend and I'm reminded of a post of her's a few weeks ago. She's a Mom too and she talked about how being a mother is a holy calling and how we should find the holiness in the everyday routine things we do with or for our kids. I would give you the blog address, but it’s not coming up right now for some reason. Her thoughts also reminded me of several great recent conference talks on Motherhood and Parenting. Then I thought of Elder Bednar's talk on the Tender Mercies of the Lord given several years ago and I had to go back and read it again. Part of his talk reads, “Recall how the Savior instructed His Apostles that He would not leave them comfortless. Not only would He send “another Comforter” (John 14:16), even the Holy Ghost, but the Savior said that He would come to them (see John 14:18). Let me suggest that one of the ways whereby the Savior comes to each of us is through His abundant and tender mercies. For instance, as you and I face challenges and tests in our lives, the gift of faith and an appropriate sense of personal confidence that reaches beyond our own capacity are two examples of the tender mercies of the Lord. Repentance and forgiveness of sins and peace of conscience are examples of the tender mercies of the Lord. And the persistence and the fortitude that enable us to press forward with cheerfulness through physical limitations and spiritual difficulties are examples of the tender mercies of the Lord.”
I have felt helpless as a Mom not being able to do what I want to do for Sara, but one thing I have been able to give her, through all of you is prayer in her behalf by all of you wonderful people. Thanks again.
Posted Aug 6, 2010 11:01am
Melinda: Let me know if I can come visit! I love you.

Posted Aug 6, 2010 1:32am
Thanks Melinda; what a great example you are.

Posted Aug 5, 2010 12:24pm
As I pray for the health of Sara and the strength her family needs during this time, I need to add a special thanks to my Heavenly Father for a friend like Melinda who teaches me so much and inspires me to be better. Thanks Melinda for the thoughts in your last post. I sure love you and your family.
Sondra

Posted Aug 5, 2010 9:38am
My darling Melinda. I am so grateful that Sara is doing well. Smiles are wonderful! I am so proud of you, and the mother that you are. Your loving patience is such an inspiration to me. Thanks for being such an essential part of my life. I love you, Honey. Give Sara a hug for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment